Demonstrate knowledge of the basic acting style of Victorian Melodrama. In your performance, you will deliberately use a selection of techniques to demonstrate your knowledge of the presentational acting style.
You will choose a role from this list:
- The Hero
- The Heroine
- The Villain
- The Villain’s Sidekick
- The dutiful servant
- The Overbearing Father
Demonstrating your knowledge by:
- Using, in an appropriate Melodrama scene, at least three identified performance conventions from the list below:
- Presentational stance/mode
- Declamatory vocal style including strong projection
- Dramatic tableaux held for three seconds
- The long walk
- The sigh
- The swoon
- The aside
- The Pose – codified gestures recognised by the audience.
- Your performance needs to be in a scene with at least one other actor.
- The scene must be at least two minutes long.
- When questioned, you must be able to identify moments in the scene where you used specific conventions.
This credential could be unlocked as a stand-alone task or as part of a broader learning opportunity. Eg An audience performance of a mini Melodrama or an in class exercise.